November 13, 2017

Successful Hunt

I was fortunate to get my second deer of the season - a whitetail buck taken near the Clearwater River.  I finished field dressing right at dark on Thursday evening and being alone and having about a mile hike back to the truck, I didn't want to be dragging the deer alone in the dark in the middle of prime grizzly country.   So I dragged it a short distance from the gut pile and draped my sweaty shirts over the carcass for the night.   That way the critters could have free access to the gut pile but would hopefully know that the carcass had be claimed by a human.

Maille and Elias joined me Friday morning to go back in to get it, and we found an old road that took us nearly right to the deer.  No griz had come by, but we did irritate a bunch of gray jays and couple of bald eagles that watched us from branches about 20 feet overhead.  We had a short drag uphill to the truck and then made haste for the nearest roadside restaurant with hot chocolate.  Later on, Maille helped out quite a bit with the butchering and wrapping, and tonight Elias is going to lend a hand with making some breakfast sausage for the freezer.  Mmmm..... sausage.




No comments:

Post a Comment